An Update To Yesterday's Promises - Kept Too Late.


I finished the files for the reprints last night and had them printed today. That was the easy part. I now had to figure out how to get them to the family. Bryan's memorial is being held this Sunday at Lake Waterford Park and I am sure I could have given them the prints then, but I did not want to wait. One side of my brain was saying that giving them the pictures of their son, so soon after his passing my be painful to them. The other side of my brain was telling me that it might make the happy seeing the images and perhaps they would want to show them at the memorial.  The latter side won.

I asked the Maryland Gazette writer, who wrote the obit story, if he had their contact number and he gave it to me. He told me that the family was very nice and that they had contacted him. He had written the original story about Bryan's graduation, after I told the Gazette about it in June. Now I had to work up the nerve to call.

I dialed the number from my desk in the photo office wondering who would answer and what would I say. Bryan's father answered and I said "Hello, my name is Paul Gillespie, and I was The Capital photographer who photographed Bryan at his graduation. I am sorry for your loss." He was very nice and I felt relieved. I told him that I had meant to get them the images, but just had not gotten around to it, and for that, I was sorry. He said that it was OK and that they enjoyed seeing them in the paper. I told him that I had made the prints and I would love to drop them off to them if possible. He sounded very happy to be getting the images and gave me their address.

After work I headed over to their home; again I was nervous of their reaction. I am sure this is a tough time for them. I pulled up to the house, went to the door and knocked. Bryan's mother, Dawn, answered, and I went inside. Bryan's dad and some other family were gathered in the dining room. I gave my condolences, and then I pulled out the 8x10's and started showing them to the family.

They loved them and were very happy I had brought them over. Bryan's dad, Bryan Sr., joked how much better they looked from the photos in the newspaper. I said, "Yeah, newsprint does not make for good pictures." A family member joked that the newspaper was meant to be thrown away.

Again, I thanked them for allowing me into their special day at graduation. We talked about how great it was that the Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Department stepped up and brought Bryan to the graduation. I again apologized for not getting the images to them sooner. I still felt guilty that Bryan didn't get to see them, but as I sit here writing this, I realize that he did get to see the newspaper and online images, and I guess that is something. I hope he liked them.

They invited me to the memorial on Sunday, and I may go. As I said my goodbyes, Bryan's mom, Dawn, gave me a hug and that made me feel really good.

Comments

Popular Posts